|Read a Post|
|Reply to this Post|
Re: Effective discussion boards in online education
|Posted By: Andrew Topper on August 7, 2003|
I am an assistant professor @ Grand Valley State University (GVSU) : )
Regarding journal articles I've found, here are a few:
Burton, W. (1998). Facilitating online learning: Charting the conversation. Paper presented at the Teaching in the Community Colleges Online Conference (Honolulu, Hawaii, April 7-9, 1998). Available online at: http://leahi.kcc.hawaii.edu/org/tcon98/paper/burton.html.
Butler, W.M. (1997). Electronic discourse communities: Theory, practice, and research. In the Handbook of Research on teaching literacy through the communicative and visual arts, Flood, Brice Heath & Lapp, (eds.), 558-565.
Cafolla, R., & Knee, R. (1999). Adding interactivity to web based distance learning. Paper presented at the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (10th, San Antonio, TX, February 28-March 4, 1999).
Hara, N., Bonk, C.J., & Angeli, C. (2000). Content analysis of online discussion in an applied educational psychology course. Instructional Science, 28(2), 115-152.
Gunawardena, C. (1999). The challenge of designing and evaluating “interaction” in web-based distance education. Paper presented at the WebNet 99 World Conference on the WWW and Internet (Honolulu, Hawaii, October 24-30, 1999).
Jarvela, S., Bonk, C.J., Lehtinen, E., & Lehti, S. (1999). A theoretical analysis of social interaction in computer-based learning environments: Evidence for reciprocal understandings. Journal of Educational Computing Research, 21(3), 363-388.
Klemm, W.R. (2000). What’s wrong with online discussions and how to fix it. Paper presented at the WebNet 2000 World Conference on the WWW and Internet (San Antonio, TX, October 30-Novermber 4th, 2000).
Parker, D., & Gemino, A. (2001). Inside online learning: Comparing conceptual and technique learning performance in place-based and ALN formats. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 5(2), 64-74.
Parker, L. (1998). Assessment tools for distance learning: A review of the literature. Olympia, WA: Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges.
Ursery, D. (1996, October). Teaching online: Design issues and the creation of an asynchronous learning environment. Paper presented at the annual conference of Alliance/ACE, St Pete Beach, FL. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. 402511)
| Effective discussion boards in online education by Janet Smith on June 24, 2003|
- Thoughts or articles by Cecil McManus on July 2, 2003
- Discussion Board by Robyn Harding on July 14, 2003
- Re: Effective discussion boards in online education by Andrew Topper on August 6, 2003
- Online Education by Leilani Carbonell Pedroni on August 6, 2003
- good article by Wanda Nitsch on August 14, 2003
- design of instructional discussion boards by Kathleen Roberts on August 26, 2003
- Still more articles on this topic! by Andrew Topper on August 29, 2003
- Some comments on this topic - based on my experiences by Andrew Topper on August 30, 2003
- online discussion boards by Susan Schroeder on September 3, 2003
- Interest in collaborating on a presentation @ SITE 05 on this topic? by Andrew Topper on August 2, 2004