|Read a Post|
|Reply to this Post|
teaching the curriculum differently
|Posted By: Frank Champine on November 20, 2003|
May I recommend approaching the integrated teaming from the perspective of ENDURING UNDERSTANDINGS and ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS developed by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe in their seminal work UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN. (http://www.ascd.org go to book store) From my experience, the approach to teaming through content forces indivdual core subjects into radical shifts in traditional approaches to their disciplines. The victims to teaming always turn out to be the math teacher who needs a verticality to her curriculum and instructational patterns.
However, if you approach the topic through a conceptual base (BIG IDEA) OR ENDURING UNDERSTANDING all the disciplines can play and NOT LOSE TIME "FORCING" THE THEME.
I do recommend you check out that book. It will help you greatly in your design model. In fact the authors coined the concept of THE BACKWARD DESIGN MODEL as they developed their three phase (stage) approach to curricular design.
I use their book in my Secondary Methodology class at the University of Pennsylvania. I teach in the Teacher Certification program in the Graduate School of Education and the final performance assessment is to have students design a UBD unitmuch like your project. Several have expanded it to include interdisciplinary teaching. It is so powerful to build these experiences around ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS AND ENDURING UNDERSTANDINGS instead of the core's struggling to find out "how we fit in."
| teaching the curriculum differently by sean mcglennon on September 10, 2003|
- teaching the curriculum differently by Rhonda Johnson on September 19, 2003
- teaching the curriculum differently by Sue McGregor on October 21, 2003
- Teaching the Curriculum Differently by Jennifer Allen on October 21, 2003
- teaching the curriculum differently by Melinda Vargo on October 24, 2003
- integrated thematic instruction by GENEVIEVE KIRCHMAN on October 24, 2003
- Integrating the curriculum by Ruth Radford on October 30, 2003
- Teaching the Curriculum Differently by Patti Sandy on October 30, 2003
- integrated learning not teaching by David Wolsk on October 31, 2003
- teaching the curriculum differently by Lynne Feldman on October 31, 2003
- Integrate Across the Curriculum by charlotte thompson on November 1, 2003
- graduate qualification by William Hunter on November 2, 2003
- C.C.L.M. by Suzy Darlink on November 5, 2003
- teaching the curriculum differently by Irene Ross on November 5, 2003
- teaching the cirriculum differently by Louise Davies on November 5, 2003
- Integrated Curriculum by Marion Brady on November 6, 2003
- teaching the curriculum differently by Frank Champine on November 20, 2003
- Teaching Curriculum: UNIT STUDIES by D. Kriss on December 11, 2003
- Integrated Learning - across the Atlantic by Warren Liew on December 13, 2003
- integrated teaching across the school by Jodi Bailey on December 18, 2003
- Teaching the curriculum differently by Boateng Evelyn on December 31, 2003